Friday, February 23, 2007

Waste not Want not

Waste is a constant product of our culture. Almost everything we buy or use has some sort of waste by-product. For example when a person buys coffee it comes in a paper cup which is thrown away or when we buy clothing plastic comes attached to it with a piece of paper dangling off. Often times when something no longer wanted it is tossed in the garbage.

The constant discarding of what is no longer needed or wanted was not the norm throughout history. The pioneers had a saying "waste not, want not," meaning if you wasted things that you would want more things. Unlike today they hardly wasted anything.

A while back I took inspiration from the pioneers. I started collecting my old clothing which I no longer wear. The rag rug in the picture is what I produced out of the old clothing. By making it I not only reused my t-shirts, sheets and other clothing I also have a rug to remind me of days gone by.

No comments: